Connect with us

International Sports

CAF postpones 2021 Africa Cup of Nations to 2022

Published

on

The African Confederation of Football (CAF) has decided to postpone the 2021 African Cup of Nations (AFCON) to 2022.

The tournament was set to take place between January 9 and February 6, 2021, in Cameroon, but it has now been postponed due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic.

“After consultation with stakeholders and taking into consideration the current global situation, the tournament has been rescheduled for January 2022,” Caf confirmed in a statement. “The date for the final tournament and the remaining matches of the qualifiers will be communicated in due course.”

 

 

CAF also announced that the 2020 African Nations Championship (CHAN) has been postponed to 2021, while the 2020 Africa Women’s Cup of Nations was cancelled due to ‘challenging conditions.’

See full details of the decisions made by the CAF Executive Committee at the meeting.

Total Africa Cup of Nations Cameroon 2021

After consultation with stakeholders and taking into consideration the current global situation, the tournament has been rescheduled for January 2022. The date for the final tournament and the remaining matches of the qualifiers will be communicated in due course. 

Total African Nations Championship (CHAN) Cameroon 2020

The final tournament has been postponed till January 2021 in Cameroon.

“The CAF Executive Committee is satisfied with t the Cameroonian authorities for their commitment towards the hosting of the two competitions. Cameroon is ready to host either competition and are within schedule,” CAF President Ahmad Ahmad said.

Interclubs 2019/20 season

The Total CAF Champions League and Total CAF Confederation Cup, will resume in September with a Final Four (4) format. Semi-Final matches will be played in a single match.

Total CAF Champions League

Venue for Final Four to be decided

Total CAF Confederation Cup

Morocco will host the Final Four

Total Women’s Africa Cup of Nations 2020

Due to challenging conditions, the 2020 edition of the Women’s Africa Cup of Nations has been cancelled.

Meanwhile, the CAF Women’s Champions League will be launched in 2021. The format and other details will be communicated in due course.

Zonal Qualifiers for U-20 & U-17 Africa Cup of Nations

A meeting with the Organising Competitions for Youth Football and the Zonal Unions has been proposed to finalize the arrangements for the zonal qualifiers. Meanwhile, the U-17 AFCON will take place in July 2021.

Beach Soccer Africa Cup of Nations 2020

Following the withdrawal of Uganda, a new hosting bid will be launched for the organization of the final tournament either in 2020 or 2021.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

International Sports

Belgian star, Thomas Meunier signs for Borussia Dortmund from PSG after turning down Man United and Chelsea

Published

on

German club, Borussia Dortmund have completed the signing of Thomas Meunier from Paris Saint-Germain on a four-year deal.

The 28- year-old Belgium right-back had been linked with Premier League clubs Manchester United, Chelsea, and Tottenham but he decided to join the Bundesliga giants Dortmund on a free transfer.

 

 

Announcing the deal on Twitter, Meunier tweeted: ‘A great day has arrived! I have the immense honor to announce my engagement with Borussia Dortmund! A new chapter opens to us, to you, to me. What a pride to wear the yellow and black jersey!

Dortmund’s sporting director Michael Zorc said: ‘Thomas Meunier is a player who has demonstrated his quality at the highest level in the Champions League and in the national team over a long period of time and will really benefit us with his experience.’

Meunier, who will link up with his compatriots Axel Witsel and Thorgan Hazard at Signal Iduna Park added: ‘Borussia Dortmund plays exactly the football that I want to play: exciting, authentic, and natural. BVB is known for its enthusiastic fans and the atmosphere during the game with PSG at Signal Iduna Park really influenced my decision.

 

Continue Reading

International Sports

Cristiano Ronaldo breaks Serie A record in Juventus victory

Published

on

Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo overtook Rui Costa to become the leading Portuguese scorer in Serie A history on Monday.

Ronaldo slotted the first-half penalty down the middle in Juve’s 2-0 win over Bologna, a result that saw the Bianconeri move four points clear at the top of the table.

The goal was Ronaldo’s 22nd in Serie A this season, one more than the 21 he managed in his debut campaign in Turin following his move from Real Madrid in 2018.

 

 

In reaching 43 goals, the 35-year-old also moved beyond Rui Costa as the Portuguese player with the most goals in Italy’s top flight.

Rui Costa spent eight years in Serie A, playing for Fiorentina and then Milan between 1994 and 2006.

Former Manchester United star Ronaldo remains the top Portuguese scorer in Premier League history having scored 84 times in 196 appearances.

He is the also the leading Portuguese scorer in La Liga history having registered 311 goals in 292 appearances for Real Madrid, where he is the all-time leading scorer.

 

 

Only Ronaldo’s great personal rival Barcelona captain Lionel Messi has scored more La Liga goals.

Ronaldo has been criticised recently after missing a penalty against Milan in the Coppa Italia semi-final and struggling to have an impact in the final versus Napoli.

Former Italy international Luca Toni described Ronaldo’s performance in the last four of the Coppa Italia as ‘average’.

“I saw the whole Juventus team in difficulty, even Cristiano Ronaldo, who looked like an average player in what was a very slow match,” Toni told Rai Sport after the Milan clash.

“You expect a big performance from him but he looked like he was experiencing physical difficulties – he couldn’t even dribble past a man.”

 

 

Ronaldo’s sister took to Instagram after the match to stick up for her brother, stating that he can’t always be expected to win matches on his own.

She said: “What else can you do? It is what it is and my darling can’t work miracles alone. I can’t understand how they played like that. Anyway, keep your head up. You can’t do more, my king.”

The Coppa Italia final loss marks the only time in Ronaldo’s career that he has lost two successive finals, having been defeated by Lazio in the Supercoppa Italiana at the tail end of 2019.

 

 

 

Continue Reading

International Sports

Novak Djokovic tests positive for coronavirus

Published

on

World number one Novak Djokovic has become the latest tennis player to test positive for Covid-19.

It comes after Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki all revealed they had coronavirus after playing at Djokovic’s Adria Tour competition.

Djokovic, 33, played fellow Serb Troicki in the first event in Belgrade.

Great Britain’s Andy Murray said the positive tests were a “lesson for us”, while Australian Nick Kyrgios called playing a “bone-headed decision”.

 

 

There have been no ATP Tour events since February because of the global pandemic and the Adria Tour, which is not an ATP Tour event, was one of the first competitions to be staged since then.

The first leg in Serbia attracted 4,000 fans, and players were later pictured dancing close together in a Belgrade nightclub.

Bulgaria’s Dimitrov played Croatia’s Coric on Saturday in the second leg in Zadar, Croatia.

With Croatia easing lockdown measures, players were not obliged to observe social distancing rules and were seen embracing at the net at the end of their matches.

Pictures on the tournament’s social media site from Friday showed Dimitrov playing basketball with Djokovic, Alexander Zverev and Marin Cilic, while he also put his arm around Coric before their match.

Zverev, Cilic and Andrey Rublev, who also played, have tested negative, but suggested they will all now self-isolate for up to 14 days.

 

Continue Reading

Trending