Chinese social media app, TikTok, is still able to access notes on iphone users’ clipboard, Apple’s beta iOS 14 release has revealed, showing that the app has not kept to its promise early this year to stop accessing sensitive information on customers phones.
TikTok came under fire earlier this year for accessing devices’ clipboards, and in a statement promised to end it’s snopping actions, but users testing the new operating system of Iphone have found TikTok has not kept its promise.
When the TikTok app accesses the clipboard on a device with iOS 14, a notification appears at the top showing that TikTok was looking at the clipboard every free strokes even when it was running in the background, the Telegraph reports.
A video shared on Twitter shows a user typing a comment in the app and every few seconds a banner alert appears, letting him know that TikTok has accessed his clipboard.
However, this app is not the only one sneaking in the shadows.
The Telegraph notes the banner appears on devices running on iOS 14 when using other apps including AccuWeather, AliExpress, Call of Duty Mobile, Google News, Overstock and Patreon.
A TikTok spokesperson in response to the new allegations says the company has taken note of ‘the action’ and that it has submitted an update to the App Store to have the feature removed.
TikTok last year was fined $5.7 million by US authorities to settle charges that it illegally collected personal information from children.
The Federal Trade Commission said in February 2019 the penalty meted towards the social network, which had been known as Musical.ly, was the largest ever in a children’s privacy investigation.
The app, which has been surging in popularity with young smartphone users , failed to obtain parental consent from its underage users as required by the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), FTC officials said.
FTC chairman Joe Simons said: ‘The operators of Musical.ly – now known as TikTok – knew many children were using the app, but they still failed to seek parental consent before collecting names, email addresses, and other personal information from users under the age of 13.’
‘This record penalty should be a reminder to all online services and websites that target children: We take enforcement of COPPA very seriously, and we will not tolerate companies that flagrantly ignore the law.’
MOELOGO GIFTS FANS WITH ‘ME’— A NEW FEEL-GOOD EP
Ready to Thrill: Safaricom Youth Ochestra Students Graduate
Nairobi, Kenya, June 27th 2020… The Safaricom Youth Orchestra marked its 6th graduation with thirty students graduating in a virtual ceremony on Saturday, June 27th, 2020.
Among the graduates were 12 students from Ghetto Classics, whose love and passion for music earned them a spot in the Orchestra to play various instruments ranging from the Flute, Alto Sax, Tenor Sax, Trumpet and violin.
“I am thrilled to see how far we have come over the years. Some of the students who are graduating have been with the orchestra since its inception. The Safaricom Youth Orchestra imparts all-round growth in music and life skills; and seeing the graduates achieve this is a testament to the dedication of both the tutors and students. It is sad that for the first time we are not able to celebrate this milestone with our late founder, Bob Collymore but we find solace in knowing that we are realizing his dream.” said Elizabeth Njoroge, Director Art of Music Foundation.
The Orchestra’s annual calendar is divided into three terms, with the first one running from May to July, followed by August to December and finally January to April when the students who have completed high school graduate.
At this time, the Orchestra carries out auditions where the most outstanding participants are selected to join the Safaricom Youth Orchestra.
However the COVID-19 pandemic disrupted the orchestra’s annual calendar, postponing the Graduation ceremony from April to June.
“Congratulations to the class of 2020 for showing commitment towards their passion for music which has earned them this graduation. At Safaricom, we understand the fundamental role which music plays in our daily lives and it is our promise that we shall continue to support the lives of the young people with initiatives such as the Safaricom Youth Orchestra,” said Peter Ndegwa, Chief Executive Officer, Safaricom.
Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Safaricom has handed over 4G enabled mobile devices to over 80 students to give them access to orchestral music instructions from their homes guided by some of Kenya’s finest musicians and music directors
Warner Records signs 12-year-old Black Lives Matter protest singer
A 12-year-old boy who went viral with his song protesting police killings of African Americans in the US, has been signed by Warner Records.
Keedron Bryant first posted his acapella gospel song titled “I Just Wanna Live” on his Instagram account on May 26, the day after another African American, George Floyd, was killed by a white policeman in the city of Minneapolis.
Bryant’s producer took to Instagram on Thursday to announce that Warner Records has signed him.
Bryant’s song I Just Wanna Live, about his fears growing up as a black man in America, will be released today, June 19, which is the Juneteenth holiday marking the end of slavery in the US.
“Every day I’m being hunted as prey. My people don’t want no trouble,” Bryant sings in the video posted to IG.
The original post has been liked over three million times, and was praised by celebrities, including Barack Obama and Katy Perry.
It also caught the attention of producer Dem Jointz, who reportedly added music.
Dem Jointz said in an Instagram post Thursday that he was “Thankful” to share the song alongside the Bryant family and Warner Records.
The US music giant will reportedly donate proceeds from the song to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP).
Watch the viral video of Bryant singing ‘I just wanna live” below.
Barcelona’ held by Atletico, Real Madrid Get Leeway
[Ghana] Kotoko Should Be Run Professionally
Manchester United Ease Past Brighton as Fernandes nets Twice
Kriss Darlin Sacked by NTV Replaced by DJ Moh Spice
Tim Wanyonyi Sponsors Boy Who Walked From Nandi to Kakamega High School
Gor Mahia sack Ceo Aduda for forming FKF rival Body
County News2 days ago
MP Tim Wanyonyi Commissions Upgrade of Kabete PAG Access Road
Business2 days ago
Jambojet Feted as Most Reliable Dash 8-400 Operator in Africa and Middle East
County News1 day ago
Wildlife Victims Compensated
News1 day ago
KETRACO, Kenyatta University Partner to offer Scholarships to Vulnerable Girls
International News1 day ago
Kenya’s Janak Elected Africa Journalists Body Secretary General
COVID-19 Updates1 day ago
Coronavirus Moves to Lamu from Elgeyo Marakwet
Sports13 hours ago
Former Kenya’s football Captain Musa Otieno Contracts Coronavirus
International Sports6 hours ago
CAF postpones 2021 Africa Cup of Nations to 2022