Kenyan Premier League (KPL) champions Gor Mahia are set to be eliminated from the Betway Football Kenya Federation (FKF) Cup scheduled for this coming weekend of March 14th-15, due to a strike by its players.
The players refused to train on Thursday 12th and March 13th in readiness for their 2020 round of 16 Betway FKF Cup against Posta Ranger in protest for non-payment of their dues by the Kogallo management.
The players vowed never to up for training or play for Gor Mahia until the K’Ogallo management pays them all their outstanding dues.
However, the Gor executive played down the player’s strike and told the federation to postpone this coming weekend of March 14th.
In a letter written by the Gor Mahia chairman Ambrose Rachier to FKF, asked the federation to postpone their FKF Cup match due to the reports associated with the risks of Coronavirus after reports of the first Kenyan to contract Coronavirus was revealed.
Similarly, Wazito FC will officially qualify for the quarter-finals after their opponents Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB) opted not to honor their fixture.
In a communication from the bankers to the Federation, KCB said they will not honor the match due to the first Kenyan being diagnosed with Coronavirus
FKF in its circular to all the members, said that only the Kenyan Premier League, Betika Super League (BSL) and the Betway FKF Cup have been allowed to take place this weekend in an empty stadium.
AFC Leopards will battle former KPL side Ushuru on Sunday, March 15th at Afraha Stadium in Nakuru as defending champions Bandari take on the 2009 KPL winners Sofapaka at KPA Mbaraki Sports ground in Mombasa.
Round of 16 Fixtures
- Wazito vs KCB (Afraha Stadium, 1 pm)
- Gor Mahia vs Posta Rangers (Afraha Stadium, 3:30 pm)
- Bandari vs Sofapaka (Mbaraki Sports Club, 4 pm)
- Fortune Sacco vs Bidco United (Kianyaga Stadium, 3 pm)
- Kisumu Allstars vs Keroka Technical Uni. (Moi Stadium, 3 pm)
- Kariobangi Sharks vs FC Talanta (Kasarani Stadium, 3 pm)
- AFC Leopards vs Ushuru (Afraha Stadium, 3:30 pm)
- Ulinzi Stars vs Migori Youth (Afraha Stadium, 1 pm)