Connect with us

FKF Elections

Grassroot Stakeholders Approve Fifa’s Decision over Sports Tribunal Verdict

Published

on

Grassroots Football Stakeholders in Kenya have backed the decision by the world governing body Fifa in overruling the Sports Disputes Tribunal (SDT) ruling against the Football Kenya Federation (FKF).

In a joint statement sent to Kenya Online News, they said that the decision will restore sanity in the country where the Sports Disputes Tribunal was hell-bent on football anarchy by targeting the federation.

“We were worried that the tribunal had created a vacuum by canceling the FKF elections for the second time and declaring that the term of the current FKF National Executive Committee (NEC) was over. But now that Fifa has filled that void by overruling the SDT, football activities more so at the grassroots will hence continue unhindered,” they said.

“It was unnecessary to outlaw the FKF executive when elections were due as this was tantamount to creating confusion and instability which could have impacted negatively on the sport” reads the statement signed by 14 clubs on behalf of other grassroots clubs.

“Representatives of grassroots clubs from various sub-branches have reached us through calls and messages, we have always had serious discussions on WhatsApp groups since the SDT ruling and today we speak with one voice, Sports Dispute Tribunal has been invaded by football Cartels the likes of GMT Ottieno, Robert Asembo, Bob Munroe and other who have a problem with FKF finally taking control of the running Kenya Premer League whose term is coming to an end”

They said they were glad that Fifa recognized FKF’s Statutes which were governing local football and has now opened the eyes of Kenyans about them in restoring law and order.

The officials welcomed the olive branch extended by Fifa in making peace in the country with stakeholders and entities involved in the running of the beautiful game.

“By inviting the Sports minister Ambasadeur Amina Mohammed, FKF, SDT officials and relevant stakeholders is a welcome move which will foster peace and unity for continuity,” they said.

The stakeholders drawn from the various grassroots clubs, branch and sub-branch officials and football fans said they were in full support of the Fifa decision and asked the Nick Mwendwa led FKF administration not to be distracted by shenanigans and lead football and complete their constitutional mandate as they had been mandated by the football family.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FKF Elections

KPL clubs wary of FIFA ban amid FKF Elections standoff

Published

on

As the clock ticks towards the April 6, meeting between FIFA, the Sports Ministry and members of the Sports Dispute Tribunal (SDT), Kenyan Premier League (KPL) clubs have expressed concern that disagreement could lead to a ban on the country.

The clubs want a quick resolution to the matter and have called for compliance with the FIFA directive.

The KPL clubs intimated that all football federations are obliged to follow the FIFA statute which gives them a right to participate in international and continental matches, enjoy financial and technical assistance including development programs.

“A ban will negatively impact on Kenya as we will be barred from taking part in international competitions,” they said.

This was by KPL clubs chairmen including Dan Shikanda, (AFC leopards), Elly Kalekwa (Sofapaka), Eric Oloo (Ulinzi Stars), John Tonui (Posta Rangers), Sebastian Ogola (Kenya Commercial Bank), Robert Maoga (Kariobangi Sharks), Ken Ochieng’ (Kericho Zoo), and Western Stima’s Laban Jobita.

“For sure FIFA will ban Kenya if we do not follow their directive. We have no choice but to do what they have asked for.

“That will not be the best thing for us at this time because we will have nothing to play for. Some officials do not care whether we are banned or not as they only concerned about their own interest,” said the 2009 KPL champions Sofapaka president Elly Kalekwa

Kalekwa particularly expressed concern about the inability to sell players in case of a ban something he says will greatly impact club’s revenues.

Four times KPL champions Ulinzi Stars chairman Eric Oloo said:“In this case, the losers will be players who will lose out on any revenues as they are only guaranteed of getting revenue when we take part in competitions.”

The FKF Betway Cup quarter-finalists Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB) Football Club Chief Executive Officer, Sebastian Ogola said a FIFA ban will lead our football to the graveyard.

“Without international competitions, we will have nothing to judge ourselves with leading to low standards. We must rise above our personal interests and do what is good for our football,” he said.

For the 2018 FKF Sportpesa Shield champions Kariobangi Sharks chairman Robert Maoga, said the prospect of a FIFA ban cannot be entertained at this time as it will lead to lose of all investments made in the sport.

“We just want to continue playing football as we have invested a lot in young players and infrastructure. If we get banned, we will lose all these resources and worse, sponsors will run away,” he said.

Kariobangi Sharks recently signed a shirt sponsorship deal with betting company Betway.

Continue Reading

FKF Elections

Retired Harambee Stars Players Plead with Govt to avert FIFA Ban

Published

on

Kenya’s former International players have urged the Government to respect FIFA’s stand on Football Kenya Federation (FKF) elections.

Speaking in the wake of a looming standoff between the Ministry of Sports and FIFA, the former internationals said the current active players will be the biggest losers in case of a ban, and not the officials caught up in the standoff

Among the former Internationals who backed the stance are former captain Musa Otieno, Peter Dawo, Fred Serenge, Maurice Sunguti, Antony Kimani, Benard Mwalala, Jeff Oyando, Nick Yakhama, Francis Onyiso, John Baraza, Hillary Echesa, James Nandwa, Jerim Onyango, Maurice Singuti, Julius Owino, Zedekiah Otieno, Edwin Nandwa, Tom Juma and Boniface Ambani.

The players instead called for an amicable conflict resolution initiative to the resolve stand-off to ensure that no one suffers and that players continue to earn a living.

Kenya’s former national football team Harambee Stars captain Musa Otieno pleaded with the Government to save Kenya from a possible Fifa ban by placing the first priority to the players’ interests and welfare.

“Some of those advocating for a ban, have other sources of income unlike the players’ football is their mainstay source of livelihood and it must be jealously protected. I stand with the players in this,” he said.

Otieno one of the most decorated Kenyan footballers added: “By virtue of having been a player, I know what it feels to be banned as I have experienced that scenario before in my playing heydays. It is not rosy but a bitter pill to swallow.

Otieno with 114 caps who featured for AFC Leopards and South African outfit Sanlam Santos said Kenya’s problems are not unique and called on dialogue by all parties to sitting down and iron them out for the sake of Kenya.

“It’s unreasonable to suggest that we put our house in order whilst serving a Fifa ban. That can be resolved as we are safely in Fifa’s ambit while our leagues and players are active for continuity,” he said.

According to former Harambee Stars and AFC Leopards forward Boniface Ambani, said the country is not ready for a ban.

“We have over 1,000 players spread out across various leagues in the country and they risk losing employment should we be banned by FIFA,” he warned.

Jerim Onyango a former long-serving captain of record Kenyan champions Gor Mahia said there’s need to adhere to FIFA’s directive to evade a possible ban which will stunt Kenya’s football growth.

FIFA, last week dismissed a ruling by the Sports Dispute Tribunal (SDT) to form a normalization committee instead insisting that the current officials of Football Kenya Federation (FKF) continue in office until outstanding matters are resolved.

Continue Reading

FKF Elections

National Super League Clubs Demand for Adherence to FIFA’s Directive

Published

on

The Football Kenya Federation (FKF) Betika National Super League clubs have called for the adherence of the Fifa directive on FKF polls to save the league.

The club officials said the second-tier league was privileged for the first time in Kenya’s history to secure a sponsor due to stability and if the Fifa directive was not observed may result in football instability and the league may suffer with the disgruntled sponsor Betika walking out.

 

Betika Super League Governing Council Chairman Johnston Sakwa

Kibera All-Stars Secretary-General Daniel Magara called for adherence to Fifa’s directive insisting it will help instill confidence among the sponsors, more importantly, gaming firm Betika sponsors of the NSL.

“We have ten matches to go and this could be disrupted if the stalemate continues. We have had a good league, very competitive and the presence of a title sponsor has made it even more exciting,” said Magara.

Nairobi City Stars Chief Executive Officer and tv football analyst Patrick Korir said whatever decision taken by the government on this matter should strictly favor the game and not individual interests.

“For football to thrive, there has to be a conducive environment. Anyone following Kenyan football over the years should know that going to court to delay the electoral process has been a culture.

“However, our football is not in a crisis as some are claiming. This will pass but, in the meantime, we must be careful that whatever decisions we make at this time are not detrimental to the real stakeholder and that is the player,” said Korir.

 

Nairobi City Stars FC CEO Patrick Korir

 Other clubs that supported the statement are Administration Police, Coast Stima, Fortune Sacco, Kenya Police, Muranga Seal, Mount Kenya United, Shabana, Ushuru, Vihiga United, and Vihiga Bullets.

“For continuity purposes, we need to abide by Fifa’s directive and when all is stable ensure the electoral process is concluded and we move forward,” NSL club officials said in unison.

Continue Reading

Trending