Connect with us

Uncategorized

KNBS To Enumerate Intersex Persons in Census

Published

on

The official launch of the Countdown to the 2019 Kenya Population and Housing Census Enumeration at KICC on August 16, 2019.

The Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS) will enumerate intersex persons in the upcoming national population census slated for August 24-25, following the introduction of a third gender marker.

The country will be joining nations that have started the process adopting intersex identity into law, Germany having adopted the same in 2018 giving people an opportunity to register as intersex on birth certificates and passports.

The population of intersex persons is currently estimated at about 700,000 persons.

Previously, KNBS only listed people as either male or female.

The new marker was introduced by the bureau in December last year, after prolonged consultations.

Intersex persons say they’ve been denied basic services like registering a bank account and are forced to decide between being male and female while registering.

Other than being prone to dropping out of school, suicidal thoughts due to stigma and seclusion, conditions affecting intersex persons are not covered in medical insurance covers.

Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR) Commissioner Judy Waruhiu says for the first time, the government will have factual data on intersex persons.

She said the government will be able to plan accordingly for its population.

“This will help the Government while planning on health, education and even on the employment sector,” Waruhiu, who is also the intersex taskforce report implementation Committee Chairperson, said on Monday.

She spoke during a pre-census briefing on counting of the intersex persons, a function attended by their ambassador Nominated Senator Isaac Mwaura and Suba North legislator Millie Odhiambo.

Waruhiu asserted that “intersex persons must be treated with dignity.”

“The inclusion of intersex persons is a culmination of over 12 years of public interest litigation, public awareness, advocacy and dialogue with both the state and non-state institutions and actors,” she said.

The government will be seeking to know their level of education, where they work, physical disability – if any – among other set of things.

Intersex children have been deemed as “taboo babies” and have often been exposed to killings at the point of birth in many cultures while others die at birth due to hormonal deficiencies, Waruhiu pointed out.

Among a set of human rights entitled to them, intersex persons should be searched upon arrest by a police officer of their choice – female or male – and detained separately in a police station, as provided in the National Police Service Standing Orders.

Parents have been asked to voluntarily offer information on their intersex children.

The outcome, according to KNBS will be announced after 3 months.

This will be the 24th census since the country gained its independence.

KNBS will carry out the enumeration process using digital gadgets unlike before when data used to be captured manually on paper.

This is set to enhance the processing of data as well guaranteed the safety of data collected, according to KNBS Director General Zachary Mwangi.

According to Mwangi, the Census will focus on 8 key areas; housing conditions, population characteristic, education, Labour force, disability, ICT, Livestock, agriculture and amenities.

The data collected is set to be used by government as a primary source for reliable and detailed data while planning.

Intersex persons attending the function on Monday included Mary Waithera alias James Karanja.

He narrated his ordeal growing up as a girl while everything else indicated he had more male hormones.

“My parents didn’t know what was wrong with me upon birth. I was hospitalized for 3 weeks as doctors tried to examine my rare condition,” Karanja said.

Agreeing on whether he was a female or male became an issue that would haunt him to date.

“I have to explain why I am a Mary Waithera on trousers while seating for exams at the University of Nairobi,” Karanga said, while recounting the numbers of times he has been kicked out of an examination room.

He urged the government to mainstream intersex issues across all sectors in a bid “to alleviate their suffering.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Retired Catholic Archbishop Ndingi Mwana’a Nzeki is Dead

Published

on

By

Retired Catholic Archbishop Ndingi Mwana a’Nzeki died on Tuesday, March 31st in Nairobi aged 89 at the Mater Hospital.

Nairobi Catholic Archbishop His Eminence John Cardinal Njue confirmed the passing on of Mwana ”Nzeki in an announcement made in a Facebook post on Tuesday.

His Grace Archbishop Emeritus Raphael Mwana a’Nzeki who died while undergoing treatment was born on December 25, 1930, in Machakos.

He was consecrated bishop by Pope Paul VI.

He served in the dioceses of Machakos (1969-1971) and Nakuru (1972-1996).

In 1996 he was made the coadjutor of the Archdiocese of Nairobi in 1997.

Mwana a’Nzeki later became the archbishop of Nairobi in 1997 where he served until his retirement in 2007.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

South African Artiste Nasty C Signs with Def Jam Recordings Inbox x Kenneth Nato Attachments

Published

on

By

(March 26, 2020 – East Africa),  Nasty C (Nsikayesizwe David Junior Ngcobo), the most-streamed South African artist on Apple Music for four years in a row, has signed an exclusive contract with Def Jam Recordings through a joint venture with Universal Music Africa.
Nasty C made his official U.S. debut with “There They Go,” his brand new single premier­ed on Thursday, March 26th with Ebro on Apple Music Beats1.
There They Go,” with producer Cxdy at the controls, is the first advance track from ZULU MAN WITH SOME POWER, Nasty C’s forthcoming album.
The video for “There They Go” was shot on location in Nasty C’s hometown of Durban, South Africa.  Director Andrew Sandler (who has worked with Lil Wayne, Chris Brown and others) has focused a new lens on the region, where Nasty C’s most recent (second) multi-platinum album Strings And Bling was first for three consecutive weeks.
“Nasty C is a unique and forward-thinking artist who is at the forefront of a new generation of rappers emerging from Africa,” said Jeff Harleston, interim Chairman & CEO, Def Jam Recordings.  “Def Jam is a globally recognized brand synonymous with excellence in hip-hop, and we are excited to welcome Nasty C – an international star with real vision and talent – into the family.”
With over 120 million streams, Strings And Bling was far and away the most streamed South African and African album on the Apple Music streaming platform in Sub-Saharan Africa.
The album spawned three multi-platinum singles: “King,” “Jungle,” and the radio smash, “SMA,” as well as the platinum title track, “Strings And Bling.”  A further 14 songs off Strings And Bling were certified gold.
“It’s powerful to be a part of the Def Jam family,” said Nasty C. “It’s an iconic record label and has made the careers of many of the artists I look up to.”
 An unstoppable force of nature, 23-year old youth phenom Nasty C’s profile earned him a berth on the Forbes “Africa Under 30” list, and the prestigious Musician Of the Year accolade from GQ magazine.
Nasty C boasts brand endorsement affiliations with top-shelf companies Puma, Red Bull, and Mercedes.
Nasty C has always sought to make the globe even smaller through his music. He has toured Africa, Asia, Europe, Australia, and North America.  He has brought his own live performance headline package, the Ivyson Tour, to Kenya, Zimbabwe, Namibia and more.

The most recent six-city Ivyson Tour last year was a sold-out smash with over 16,000 attendees in each of the four cities in which it was held (Durban, Johannesburg, Cape Town, Namibia).

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Rwanda Corona Cases Hit 36 with 3 Imported from Kenya

Published

on

Three of the new cases recorded in Rwanda are travellers from Kenya, the Rwanda Health ministry has said.

In a statement on Tuesday, the ministry noted that Rwanda has recorded 36 cases since the outbreak.

They recorded 17 new cases today.

Out of this, nine came from Dubai, three from Kenya, two from United States, One from Qatar, one from India and one was confirmed through contact tracing.

“All of them were put in isolation between March 17 and 20. They are in stable conditions and their contacts are being traced,” the ministry said.

Rwanda confirmed its first case on March 14, an Indian who arrived in the country from Mumbai on March 8.

Kenya has so far confirmed 16 coronavirus cases.

Continue Reading

Trending